söndag 10 juni 2012

Mixing and matching

Usually when I plan a training session for the youths I try to keep kata and kumite separate. I don't like to have them both in the same training session. Both because I only have one hour every Thursday with them, and because I feel they are in a way two different mindsets.

In kumite you get the adrenaline pumping in the body, if you then switch to kata you still have those hormones running crazy in the body and the kata will be stressed and not as precise as if you would have kept to kata from the beginning. Although I do like to combine both kata and kumite with kihon. The reason is that if you have good kihon you get good techniques both in kata and kumite and you learn which way the body should rotate to get the right power.

My mind gets really disturbed if I go from kata to kumite (or vice versa) in one training session. This does not mean I don't like to have bunkai in a kata session. Quite the opposite. Bunkai is the dissection of the kata, and we learn more from the kata by performing its bunkai. But the kumite that we usually practice in my club is more of the sport karate than anything else. Which is understandable, but I do like the traditional part of kata and bunkai better as it's more self defence.

If I do go from kata to kumite during a training I feel myself out of balance and not at all as ready to spar with my partner. For me it's two different types of concentrations in them. I'm not sure I can explain it, as I haven't reflected much over it. But it just feels different. I will write more on the subject when I've had time to reflect more...


Picture by: Eivor Mathilde

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar