tisdag 23 oktober 2012

Stress vs Effectiveness

Since spring this year I have started exchanging the word stress for effectiveness.

For me the word stress is something negative, and I'm guessing it is for most people. But when I was younger I always heard the expression "positive stress". For me that doesn't go hand in hand. That is like 1-1 = 0, something neutral, and doesn't really explain how stress possibly could be positive!

Stress is when everything is happening at once and you are trying to do everything but fail. Effectiveness is when everything is happening at once but you can structure it up and prioritise what needs to be done first and what can wait, or what things can be squeezed in where.

This spring I experienced stress during the Shorin Ryu chamionship in Arendal. Many things happened at once, we had a lot of kids participating that I was responsible for getting the right coloured belts and paddings on. Also keeping track of the lists, coaching, warming up everyone, warming up myself for kata etcetera. But luckily I had friends and family members of the participants to help out, so it all worked out in the end.

For me that was a stressful day, and I was exhausted afterwards!

I practice effectiveness every morning when I'm headed for work. I know exactly how long it takes to heat up the frying pan, how long it takes to fry egg and bacon and make my crisp bread snack, what I can do in between tasks to be able to be at the bus stop!

Personally I see myself as a non stressful person and try to deal with things as they come along. It's just recently that I have noticed that for me it's wrong to call it stress, because its not! I always try to be as effective as possible when it counts.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar