söndag 11 november 2012

Chiropractor visit

Since the end of last year the club has been in contact with the local chiropractor I've been going to for fixing my hips. She's been visiting our dojo a couple of times and giving us pointers on what we can improve on in terms of posture, strength and balance training. Last week she came for a revisit to see our progress and give us another nudge in the right direction.

She was pleased to see that we had improved since last visit, but emphasised the use of the short foot technique and making use of the core muscles for stability. I think it's something everyone in the club can improve on.

When visiting she took the time to give some improvement pointers individually to our karatekas, and it seems to have been very much appreciated!

From not having any sway in my lower back a year ago, I now have too much (as you can see in the picture). I've been working so hard on my posture it has now gone the other way! To improve this I have to engage my core more than I do. Also still training my abs and back is essential for this improvement.

She also noticed that my hamstrings aren't as strong as they should be. So I'm switching up my strength exercises and focusing on hamstrings and glutes for my legs for a bit.

And on that note, I know I've been slacking off on my strength training the past month. It's mostly due to being sick/recovering almost whole September, starting a new more physically demanding job, and being generally busy during the weekends. I just have to get started again and do some exercises in between karate training days.

I don't think I've become weaker since summer ended, but I also haven't become stronger.

It's always interesting to have such knowledgeable people visit. I have learned a lot from both my chiropractor, other visiting trainers, and courses I have taken the past year. And it has given me an insight on why we actually do the techniques in the way that we do them, and how we all can improve them my knowing a little about the body's anatomy!


Picture by: Sofia Danielsson

2 kommentarer:

  1. Rooting for you Konjou! Great to know that your hips are getting better. It was also nice of your chiropractor to give some pointers on posture and for noticing your hamstrings. A good chiropractor really is invested in the lives of their patients.

    Tiffani Villagomez

    SvaraRadera
  2. Thank you Tiffani! Hips are almost 100% good, just need to stretch the hip flexors a tiny bit more on the right side and also build up more of my strength :)

    My chiropractor is really wonderful, and deserves a lot of credit for my progress so far!

    SvaraRadera